Do you have a story inside of you?
One that’s been calling to come out?
Writing a book is the act of putting a part of your soul out into the world. Vulnerability. Courage. An important message to share. But ask any published writer and they’ll tell you that the journey can be demanding, contain detours, and the occasional unnecessary doubt.
That’s where I come in.
Hi love! My name is Tessa. I’m your Book Doula, and I am here to help make the adventure towards publishing an easier one by helping you to stay focused with forward momentum and positive, loving, support.
A doula is a woman who has been through the birthing process
and who helps other mothers have a more loving, comfortable, and supportive birth for their child.
Your BOOK is a part of you and the process is much like a pregnancy—
you’ll grow with ideas and launch your book out into the world hoping that it will be loved by others as much as you love it.
My job as Your Book Doula is:
To provide emotional and educational support to you during the writing process. We’ll plan goals and set dreamlines (more inspirational than deadlines), and we’ll discuss any fears and concerns along the way. I’ll be here to give advice and resources to complete your book and make the process as painless as possible.
I will help you gain a better perspective of the publishing process and whether or not traditional or self-publishing may be right for you. My job will be to make sure you are supported, confident, and moving towards a successful plan to publishing, all while making it a memorable and empowered experience.
I will share all of the tips and tricks I’ve learned along with advice I’ve received personally from best-selling authors. I’ll share how I wrote my second book’s first draft in just 6 months and how in just 6 months later it is now sitting on the desk of two of the biggest publishers in the world!
My first self-published book received eight awards.
+ I am a 2016 Writer’s Digest Competition Award Winner
+ An Indie Excellence Book Awards Finalist
+ And my work has appeared in GirlsLIFE Magazine.
+ I am also a co-author of the #1 Best Selling book Goodness Abounds from the 365 series.
+ I am a member of Romance Writers of America, International Women’s Writers Guild
+ I have attended several writing conferences across the U.S. including the Alaskan Hay House Writers Workshop, The Texas Novel Writing Intensive, the New York Writers Digest Conference, along with the New York Pitch.
+ I’m currently working on my next two books at the same time….
But the next project I’m most excited about is helping YOU to reach your dreams!
Tessa Shaffer is one powerhouse book doula. She’s up to date with everything from craft to picking out literary agents. Tessa guided me throughout my entire agent seeking process and also helped me edit my children’s book. Her line edits are awesome and she has a great eye for detail and structure. Besides the fact that Tessa is a very positive, encouraging, and dependable person, she really knows how this writing thing works and is a wonderful person to have on your team.Bianca Ambrosio
I know Tessa Shaffer in two distinct ways: as an author and as a writing mentor. I still remember buying Tessa’s book Heaven Has No Regrets, and reading it cover to cover in just a few days. I loved her story and her writing style. Even all these years later, I still quote certain lines from that book. And now, I have the pure joy of working with Tessa in my own writing journey.
As a writing mentor she has a unique style that blends her expertise in the field with her heartfelt support and guidance. Her personalized way of working with me has helped take my confidence and my writing to a whole new level. And whether I am struggling or celebrating, Tessa has been a constant voice of encouragement all along the way. If you are considering a writing mentor, I highly, and without reservation, recommend Tessa Shaffer.S.B.
Examples of services:
- Help to find your writing voice and outlet that’s best for you
- Find a writing schedule that works for YOU
- Set big picture goals and smaller check points to get us there
- Create dreamlines and deadlines, and schedule times to meet for accountability and support
- Find the best path towards publishing whether it’s pitching to agents or self-publishing
- Celebrate each and every milestone we meet! (often with me sending you special writing gifts geared towards your project!)
- Weekly check ins, monthly check ins, or unlimited support
- Finish a first draft
- Polish your draft
- Write query letters to agents
- Write a book proposal for agents or publishers
- Plan your book launch party
- Work on building an author platform
- Develop a marketing plan for your book
(Other services available: Ghostwriting for your book, query writing, or proposal writing)
First Draft Package
- This package is for you if you are at the very beginning with a concept or you’re 50,000 words into your first draft.
- This package is designed to keep you on track to finishing your first draft within your dreamline.
- This package provides the amount of support you desire with weekly or monthly check ins in the form of:
- Feedback on writing
- Recommended writing activities, brainstorming, etc.
- Professional editing services on your first chapter after first draft is completed
- Your welcome packet for the First Draft Package will include:
- A pdf print out of advice specifically geared towards the first draft
- You’ll also receive a gift box in the mail specifically curated with writing goodies for YOU and your project.
- Optional Add On:
- A word count contest to keep writing your first draft fun with weekly word count goals and prizes.
The Labor of Love Package
- This package is for you if you’d be starry eyed to have writing as your full time career. You LOVE to write. It’s your goal to be a published author. And you need some nurturing along the way!
- This package is crafted to support you at any stage of your writing with fully customized support tailored specifically toward helping YOU reach your personal writing goals.
- This package includes:
- Everything mentioned in First draft & Next Steps…plus!
- Unlimited check ins and feedback
- Have you painted yourself into a corner/ are stuck on a chapter? We’ll brainstorm and find a way out.
- Having a day where you’re just unmotivated and feeling down about your work? Text me and I’m there to get you back on track and remind you how amazing of an author you are.
- Have something you’ve just finished and want feedback on? Send it over to me and I’ll respond within 24 hours!
- I’ll love your project just as much as you do and together we’ll laugh, (maybe cry) and find your wings as an author.
- With the customized package I’ll send you a gift in the mail each month (12 gifts total!) to keep you encouraged and excited about your writing career.
The Next Step Package
- This package is for you if have a first draft of your book completed.
- Now you’re looking for help in the “what comes next?” department.
- With this package I’ll provide:
- Developmental edits on your first draft
- Helping you find and select beta readers for additional feedback
- I’ll provide support through the editing process to help you polish your book towards the final draft
- Bi-weekly or monthly check-ins depending on your needs
- Together we’ll discuss which publishing path is right for you and get you ready to:
- Pitch to agents
- Or send to publishers with confidence
- Optional Add ons:
- Agent querying/book proposal writing support
Want to work with me?
Tell me about your story and the range of support you are looking for and I’ll get back to you ASAP with a quote for the package that will best suit YOU! We’ll do a 20 min FREE Skype session or phone call before you’ll have to commit to anything. My job is to support you, remove your self-doubt, and keep your project headed towards your goals.